Take today for example. We started school this week so I naturally figured that I would begin my day with teaching my five youngest at home and end it with a quick trip to OBU for some music lessons and a stop by the library. Oh, it was not to be so! The day began with my recently licensed daughter informing me that her idea of a good plan was not driving a 15 passenger van and her sister to the dentist for their appointments. (We are praying up a smaller car for the girls to use.) With all the water lying around from a recent storm and the idea of driving our family "boat" through downtown traffic, she just didn't feel up to the task and asked me to take them. How could I say no? So I quickly changed gears and got the rest of the crew ready for town, and off we went. So much for getting all our school done in the morning today.
Our trip to Ada involved a quick stop off at Dad's work to give him Parker's latest drawing of some moving machine that Great Plains rents out. (Brent greatly appreciates these drawings and like to share them with the folks at work.) Then we hit Wal-Mart in attempt to find some more clip board things so everyone can do school work in the car (thinking ahead for future unexpected road trips). I thought the girls would be busy for two hours but today their cleaning was speedy. We got the "we are done" text after an hour so we quickly rushed back to get them. Having a bit of "free" time, we headed Sonic to redeem some Tots coupons for the youngest five that they earned at the library during the summer reading program. Next to Burger King to redeem burger & drink coupons they earned at the library as well. Yeah! An easy, quick lunch. Yes, I would prefer a lunch that included fresh fruit and veggies but I am being flexible.
We then head back home to pick up and drop off a few things so we can go to Shawnee for Dennah's music lesson and to hand a few things off to Hattie. Just as we are leaving, Brent calls and asks if we wouldn't mind going to Norman to pick up his new glasses. Sure, we'd be glad to! Another change in plans. Our trip to town is now going to be much longer so we re-evaluate who will be going. Lillie stays with Parker and Clay (who were most delighted to stay home and quickly changed from their town clothes into something matching so they could be "twins"...very sweet!). Becker, Camie & Emma join Dennah and me as we dash north in hopes of getting to the library in Tecumseh to return and pick up things before needing to be at music lessons by 1:00 PM. With our new plan, we decided to make good use of our time in town and try to get most of Dennah's things that she will need for when she heads to EXCEL on the 20th for 8 weeks. Drop her off at OBU, meet up with Hattie for the hand off and head to Wal-Mart, again. Race around like a crazy woman while two very cute but overly actively 5 year olds point out their idea of good purchases and remind me that we haven't done their school work yet. Ugh! Pick Dennah up, make a quick stop in Tecumseh and then head to Norman.
While in Norman, we went to Eye-mart to get Brent's glasses, Wal-Mart (yes, the third trip...so not my favorite!) to get the things I couldn't select for Dennah without her imput, Hancock's to find fabric for a skirt for Dennah, Hobby Lobby for the fabric we couldn't find at Hancock's, Mardel's, Target, Sam's Club to check out prices on phone cards and grab some dinner, and Micheal's. At this time it is 7:00 PM so we hustle on home. Get home at 8:00 PM. Unload the car, get the little ones ready for bed, have the four youngest read to me so we can at least get in some school work, and then finally get the crew to bed by 9:45 PM. Whew! Lots done...just not what I had planned.
God seems find joy in seeing how flexible I can be and to see if I really keep the good attitude that I insist my children have when things don't go their way. Living what we preach can sure be challenging. My day was blessed. How was your day?
1 comment:
Wow, love this story!! =D We "never" have days like that...;).
Post a Comment