Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Few Words from Lillie {Blessing}

We were so blessed to get a few minutes of FaceTime with Lillie tonight.  What joy filled my heart to see her and hear her voice!  Then to add to my joy, we received a long email from her!  Below is a portion of her post.  It made me smile to read it...I hope it makes you smile, too.


Hope everyone is doing well there!! :) It was so good getting to see some of you during my lunch hour on FaceTime! :) If there is ever a next time, I am so going to need the international plan for my phone!! I hate not being in contact with you whenever I want to be!! I think that would be the only thing I'd change! 

I have had a great time so far, its been way different from what I'm used to... but then, of course I'm in a foreign country... duh! I'm not quite sure what I thought it was going to be like, so I'll just take it how it is without complaining!!! Hehe! It's been wonderful and exciting! :) I just hope that what we're teaching and saying is getting through to the kiddos... with the language barrier there it's a bit hard, and keeps us on our toes though. And working with the interrupters has been a very new experience! Some of the kids can speak a little English and that is really helpful. These kids are older then the ones I've taught in the past. They are 7 to 12 year olds. So that was a little weird to adjust to! But they are so sweet and very soft spoken, (so to say) and kind children! I'm so happy I'm here! But the thought that I'll be here for here for 18 more days is a bitter sweet one! Ugh!

The food, oh the food is great... that is, if you like oriental food! It's not bad at all, and I like most of it! But when it's served at every meal it gets a little old!  Lol! But again, it's food and I can't complain :)

Since we are basically only teaching in the evenings for about 3 hours (except for Saturday) that leaves most of the early morning and afternoon open for a lot of free time! So they have it set up in the mornings after breakfast to where we get to have time alone to read our Bibles, pray and prepare our lessons for the evening! Then we meet up with the team we've been assigned to (which contains of about 9 members from the team, there are 4 teams or accountability teams as they call it) we meet up and have a bible study wisdom search thing, and that has been really incredible! And then on some days they will take us on a tour to see some historic thing here and there! Took us to a night market while it was day time! Haha, there was probably a reason they took us there during the day time ;) the little shops that *were* open were very fun to look into and kinda just window shop around! Tons and tons of little trinkets and odds and ends sold in places like that! So we're getting to do a lot of different things while we're here! And that is a very fun plus!! :)

Yesterday, our little group team thingy went out to lunch! I was sitting across from one of the interpreters that's on our team, and he was asking me what food we liked to eat in the US! About what kind of noodles and rice we ate, vegetables and bread, and he wanted to know about what kind of meat we Americans liked to eat the most! I said I don't know about everyone else, but my family eats mostly venison... he looked at me really funny, so I flat out told him that we ate deer! The poor guy, he looked so confused!! And I couldn't help but laugh a little! He was all like, "Deer? Like the ones the have antlers? Deer?! The ones that run and jump?!" He even did the hands to his head thing motioning antlers to make sure he and I were talking about the same animal!! It was so funny. David was the other guy right across from me.  (David has come on these trips for quite a few years now and knows a little Chinese... He is also on the team I'm on.)  He chimed in and said 'car' in Chinese and motioned like he hit a deer and said "Yes, the deer you shoot and hit in cars! Then we eat them!" hahaha! We all got a huge laugh out the poor guys face! He thought it was the strangest thing! Then he asked if we ate kangaroos, too! :P 

I'm so sad I don't get Internet as often I would like to or thought I would here.  So I won't be in continual contact with anyone while I'm here... I am really hoping that no one thinks I've fallen off the face of the earth or died! :P I almost started to cry after I found out that I couldn't even text you guys to let y'all know I had gotten here safely! But I found Internet two days ago at the church we teach at (that I could actually email off of like now) where as before I had been using connections I had randomly found when walking past a restaurant that would only let me get on FB and IG! So tonight, I'm sending an email!! :D  From now on I'm using the church's Internet for as long as we teach there, but we're only there in the evenings. Right now I'm typing this all up on my iPod in my notes, so that I can just copy and paste to my email when I get to the church! :) Got to work with what I've got!

Anyways, I know I shouldn't want to rush this trip and that I need to let God work.   Also I need to enjoy every minute of it, but I really can't wait to get back home and see my family again!!! I miss you all so much! And please tell everyone I send my love!! 


Lillie sends her love.

1 comment:

Charity B. said...

Awww! So fun to "hear" from her!