I thought our "adventure" began the beginning of March, but it started long before which I will share about later. After feeling lousy and dealing with cold like symptoms, I found myself in bed for about a week. During this time, I kept telling Brent that I would be better the next day. He bought my story until I was unable to get up and was no longer eating or drinking. This earned me a trip to the ER...only after Brent had to carry me out of the house to the car. At this point, I was miserable. I hurt all over and was doing more than my share of throwing up. Not a pretty site, to say the least.
After arriving at the hospital, it was determined that I was completely dehydrated, malnourished, had kidney failure, liver trouble and bilateral pneumonia with lungs 1/3 & 2/3 full of fluid. When I was finally stabilized and able to realize what was happening, I found myself in the Intensive Care Unit. The doctor told Brent that had he not brought me in that day, I would not have lived. Another doctor went out of his way to tell me that my doctor had saved my life. Talk about God's hand of mercy! As a matter of fact, the morning after I was admitted my primary doctor walked in and said, "Holy *@$#, you are still alive! Well, we better to to work on getting you healed." It is very funny now but at the time it really shook me up. Doctors determined that I had actually been ill for months but because I had taken to using pain relievers daily, I was not aware of my true condition. After all, "a mom doesn't have time to get sick" was my thinking during my two plus months leading up to my hospital adventure. I ended up spending six days in the ICU and then six more days in basic care to get me stabilized to come home. During that time, it was determined that I also had gallbladder trouble. Surgery was suggested but due to my weaken lungs, past history of not handling anesthetic well, and the fact I had no gallbladder issues before this time, the doctors decided to release me. I can't even begin to tell you the joy that filled my heart to be able to go home. It was a total answer to prayer.
Once home, I began the slow recovery to regaining my health. I had lost a lot of weight and all my muscle tone. As the triplet's like to say...I was smooshy. I struggled with eating but Dennah and Cheryl Burnett were doing all they could to bless me in this area. I was in no pain, just very weak. After being released on a Wednesday, I was thrilled to attend church that Sunday after having missed so many services. I thought all was going well but that soon ended. After only being home for four days, I had to return to the ER for uncontrollable vomiting and pain. Unfortunately, two small pieces of vegetable pizza did me in!
Back at the hospital, I found myself again in the ICU until I was stable enough for surgery to remove my gallbladder. It turns out that my dysfunctional gallbladder actually turned out to be a blessing from the Lord. When the surgeon was performing the surgery, he discovered that I was filled with infection and toxins. He had to remove not only my gallbladder but also my appendix and seven inches of my lower intestine which was dead. Brent was once again put in an anxious position when my 45 minute surgery turned to a 2-1/2 hour event. During this time, he was told that it wasn't going well. For the second time, God chose to spare my life. The surgeon told Brent after the surgery that my levels of toxin were so high that I would have died the next day had surgery not been performed. I was in the hospital for another week recovering from surgery making this my second 12 day stay in a month.
All while I was "vacationing" at our local hospital, my family was doing all they could to handle things at home. Brent had his hands full with a wife that was trying to die on him, a full time job and seven children trying to hold down the fort when he wasn't available. If I ever had any doubt that my husband would take of me, I could never now. He is my hero. I am so thankful for the wonderful man I am married to. I am also thankful for my precious children. Each one did what they could to make things run while I was gone. I am especially appreciative for all that Lillie and Dennah did. Nothing more could have been asked of them...they did it all and never complained. I am so proud of my girls!
Our family saw that hand of God at work through His people. We are humbled by all those who prayed for us, supported us, encouraged us and loved us. My family was blessed by many delicious meals, frequent phone calls of concern and many offers to help in anyway we needed. We had friends come clean our house. Folks who took kids for the day, to special places and even kept them overnight. People gave of their valuable resources sacrificially and most generously to bless our family. I tear up just thinking about the out pour of love to our family in a time of true trial. I personally was blessed by those who sent cards, flowers, came (or tried) to visit me in the hospital and all those who prayed for me and my family when I was too weak to pray myself. I am humbled and most grateful.
When I was in the hospital, pastor came to visit me. He ask me what God was teaching me through all this. The list is endless. God is faithful, merciful and will meet our every need. God gives me breath and I am thankful. My family can survive without me so I need to purpose everyday to be of value in their lives...not just live with them. I could go on and on. I will just say that my perspective and priorities have been challenged and solidified.
With all praise to God, I am feeling better five weeks after surgery than I have in months. I am recovering from an infection under my incision and gaining strength daily. Mother's Day was extra special for my family this year...my children still have their mother and I have the gift of life which allows me to be here as their mother. Thank you God!
This journey has been hard, painful and difficult at best but as I look back at all that has transpired, I wouldn't change it for the world. God's plan is perfect.
3 comments:
We praise God for you and his hand on your life, you are very precious to us!! Love You!
Wow, praise the Lord! Praying for you and your family as you continue to recover. =)
Jillian
I have read this twice, and w/ such shock both times. I am so very thankful that you are on the mend, as I cannot even begin to think about your not being here anymore. I have wanted to tell you this and so much more, live and in person but I expect that you are resting up as the phone goes unanswered. Then I thought I would settle for email, but they all come back to me undeliverable. (thanks Mailer-Daemon!).
But then today I lit on the idea of leaving a comment on the blog in hopes of getting through to you. Not as personal, and certainly just a partial reflection of the love I wish I could share w/ you, but it is better than nothing.
I love you, my friend, and I am looking forward to hearing from you or seeing you and/or just plain ol' hearing OF you for many many years to come.
Hugs.
Post a Comment