Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall Changes and Family Update

Back in March, I made a post sharing about some changes taking place within our family. Somewhat recently, I was asked to give an update on how our family was doing and reflect on some of the changes we have made. So here goes...

We are still the same...a work in progress. We are trying to make changes that move us forward, closer to God and make us better people, all for His glory and our good. Not everything is going the direction we had planned. But isn't that just like God? His ways are not our ways, why should I expect any differently. All in all, this is a good season we find ourselves in with lots of opportunities for growth and character building. At times, we feel like we are walking moment by moment through the refiner's fire. At other times, I feel like I am going to burst with all the overflowing joy I find in my heart. Life is good and we serve an even better God.

The triplet's are getting bigger by the minute it seems. Most people who meet them are surprised to find out they are only five years old. As you can see from the photo, Camie is quickly catching up with Emma in height and Clay is taking his sweet time about getting taller. They doing well in school, with some loving it more than others. It is amusing how the girls beg for school and my three boys turn on the stealth mode and just about disappear into thin air when the books come out. We are working on our "delegate or die" theory of life and are working on finding each child a job or as we like to think, a character building opportunity. Emma is my official laundry folder. Emma actually loves any job I will give her and usually with do whatever it takes to get it done right and completely. A mama's dream helper! Camie is in charge of all dusting and outside laundry hanger. Clay's task is to unload the dishwasher. It has been working out real well and they feel so good to be a "big kid" helper. We had been putting off giving them official jobs since it was so much easier and faster to get them done with our older children but the time finally came and we are all the better for it.

Parker is doing great and so is our sweet little dog, Joy. Parker still isn't exact sure that he is made for all his official jobs but he tries just the same. School is going well and he continues to draw as often as he possibly can. It is his love of creativity that has brought children's crafts back into our home again. I not thrilled about projects that involve mess, glue and scissors with lots of little people but who can resist a guy with that darling smile and twinkly eyes?! So, we now have official art days in our school week. The kids are really enjoying it and I am delighting in their joy. Parker is planning to hunt this year during the youth rifle weekend. He is very excited and so is his dad.

Becker is growing taller with each passing day and is trying to bulk up as well so he can pull his compound bow with ease. As you can see above, he still isn't strong enough to wrestle down his buddy, Joe, but it is only a matter of time. Becker is most excited about hunting this Fall which actually begins for him tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM as he heads out to give his bow hunting skills a try. Becker has really stepped up to the plate for me in the kitchen while Dennah has been gone. His specialty is breakfast. I am grateful for his help.

Susanna is doing well in school and is very happy to be part of the choir again this year. She really enjoys her art classes and continues to love reading. We are looking forward to her weekend visit this month.

Dennah is doing well at EXCEL and has even found time to send us a couple of letters. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy hearing from her! I look forward to her weekly phone calls. It blesses my heart to hear how she is doing and pray with her. Things are not easy for her there and she is being challenged on so many levels. I am proud of her and her diligence to not grow weary in doing what the Lord has put before her. The highlight has been her sharing that she truly now knows and experiences daily God as her Lord, Provider and Comforter. I miss my Little Dee.

Lillie decided that she didn't want to finish up her senior year in a formal school setting. She is home working towards graduating ASAP. Her love of photography is what she is looking towards pursuing. Lord willing, she will soon have the equipment she needs to move forward in the direction she would like to go. Her heart is to travel to Africa. She would love to use her photography skills there. I don't think there could be anyone who loves and appreciates little black children as much as Lillie does. Just ask the triplet's. Lillie has decided that she could have been an only child...she really likes having her own room and not having to share a bathroom! She is trying to make the most of it since she knows that this opportunity may never come her way again. I have been enjoying my time with her while Dennah has been away. Lillie hasn't been as thrilled as I have been standing in for Dennah with proxy hugs but she is willing just the same. Thanks Lil!

Hattie now is wearing glasses as you can see. She is doing well at OBU and we are proud of her. She is blessed with a great roommate, wonderful friends (that's Jessica above) and a job on campus doing sports medicine. How nice she can put her LPN to work and do it there at school. She works 12 hours per week which is perfect for her schedule. Funny thing is that we seem to see Hattie more and I talk with her more now that she has moved out than we did while she lived here. Things are not easy for Hattie. Her classes are challenging but she is happy. It blesses my heart to see her enjoy this new season of her life.


Lord willing, Brent will soon be working at Great Plains Rent All full time. He is blessed to work for a great company that is run by men of godly character and with strong family values. We appreciate the Clark family for giving Brent this opportunity. While Brent is not working for GP or working on rental house needs, he hopes to get in some hunting this fall. I am hopeful that the hunters of this family will fill our freezer. Brent continues to struggle with allergies from native grasses that cause his skin to do unkind things to him, especially on his face. He has started eating native honey daily with hopes of enhancing his immune system. He thinks it is helping so we are going to become regular customers of the Burnett family's wonderful honey!

As for me, I am working on trying to develop a more meek and quiet spirit. Not an easy task for a control freak by nature. I keep waking up me everyday, so I have not arrived yet. Good thing, God wants me on my knees anyway. It has been nine months since my surgery. I was reflecting back about this today while on my walk with the kids. I never knew how bad I felt until I finally started feeling better. I am so thankful that God has restored my body. Now if I could just show my appreciation by taking better care of it, things would be great. The adjustment of going gray is getting easier. Having a hair cut I love is helpful. It is going to be a year before I am completely "natural" but it hasn't been nearly as painful as I anticipated. I continue on with my never ending quest to organize, simplify and declutter my house. Amazing how quickly the "stuff" in my life can get out of control. School is going better this year. The children haven't changed, just my perspective. I give God the glory. Thank you God for not growing tired of me!

Life is good. God is Great. All is well...especially with a new fun green phone.

1 comment:

Hannah B. said...

Aww, Mrs. Elliott, thank you for such a heart-felt post! I love hearing the updates on each of your children. :) We love your family!!!